Saturday, March 5, 2011

INSPIRATION BEHIND: MY SISTER IS MY BEST FRIEND

Three years ago I met my half sister Rachelle for the first time.  She grew up in Haiti and I grew up in New York.   My parents went their separate ways before I was born.  My dad remarried and my mother moved to New York.  As a kid I never fully understood why my father totally abandoned me and why we never kept in touch.    Much to my delight I finally got a chance to meet my sister Rachelle.   I went to visit her in Fort Lauderdale where she currently lives.  Later that same year she came to visit me in Colorado.

 After meeting her, I could not stop thinking about her.  I had vivid dreams of us playing together as little girls having tons of fun.      I was so emotionally moved that I began to wonder what it would have been like if we were raised together. My imagination went wild.   One day during my lunch hour I picked up a pen and began writing.    I wrote everything I was feeling that day and by the end of lunch I had created  the manuscript for this book.  Next I  translated the script to French and Spanish. 
A month later, I submitted the trilingual manuscript to a publisher and much to my surprise she  liked my manuscript and only requested a few revisions.  It took me a month to think things through before making revisions.  Quite frankly, I was still concerned that she would not accept the revised manuscript.   I mustered enough courage and made the revisions.  I resubmitted the manuscript and within a short period of time the publisher emailed me offering me a contract.
This book is very special to me.  I thank God for His infinite goodness to me.  I also want to say, through meeting my sister I have been healed  from the emotional distress  of being abandoned by my father.  

A Picture of my sister and me.  I took her to visit  Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado


7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a darling book and I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mayra,

    Thanks so much for stopping by.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Siblings being united, is a heart warming story Nicole, and I'm sure it will touch the hearts of others who have experienced similar lives. How fortunate for you to have such beautiful sisters, and to be able to write your emotional experiences with and about them. Wishing you every success with your new book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan,

    Thanks so much for stopping by, and leaving a nice comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nicole:

    I loved your quote from Ekhart Tolle, and very much enjoyed perusing your site. Congratulations on your new book. I hope you have great success.

    ~Grier Cooper

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Grier,

    Thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate the kind words.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  7. As someone struggling to learn French I would like to get your books.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete